RoundTable Legal helps creative industry clients, including musicians, visual artists, independent filmmakers and authors. We handle both transactional entertainment law and litigation. We work diligently to provide clear and thorough counsel for creative professionals to address the far-reaching and complex legal issues that arise in the entertainment industry. Further, our representation and advocacy involves numerous sports fields including the groundbreaking new field of E-Sports/professional gaming.
- Visual Art
- Helping visual artists ranging from sculptors to graffiti artists protect their work by guiding them through copyright registration, licensing, drafting work-made-for hire contracts and securing moral rights protections. Additionally, we counsel and negotiate agreements with galleries, museums, expositions and traveling exhibitions on behalf of our clients.
- If you are a designer, manufacturer, retailer or other fashion professional and are having a contract or licensing issue with another business or regulatory authority, you need representation from someone familiar with the complexities of the industry.
- If you are a photographer, filmmaker, producer, or other film/television professional and are having issues with contracts, artists, privacy laws, or intellectual property protection, you need advice and representation from attorneys who are familiar with the complexities of your industry.
- Additionally, we offer clearance services for Television and film scripts.
- If you are a performer, producer, songwriter or some other music industry professional having a contract or licensing issue with another artist, business or regulatory authority, you need representation from attorneys who are familiar with the complexities of the music world. At RoundTable Legal, we provide services to music industry professionals in the fields of intellectual property, contract law, and internet law; we can also represent individuals who are being sued by the Recording Industry Association of America.
- Whether weighing the pros and cons of self-publishing, drafting and negotiating publishing agreements, dealing with distributors, registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office, or anything else related to print and publishing, RoundTable Legal is here to help. Our familiarity with the publishing industry allows us to offer nuanced counsel and assistance with publishing legal issues large and small.
- Theater as an art form may be ancient, but the laws that affect it change regularly and can be difficult for even experienced theatrical producers to navigate. RoundTable Legal can help you understand the legal nuances that surround theatrical production and draft the necessary agreements, from space and talent acquisition to marketing your show.
- Podcast Law
- The main legal issues that you will likely face that are unique to podcasters are clearance issues related to copyright, publicity rights, and trademark law. Podcasters share similar concerns to bloggers in relation to defamation, privacy, reporter’s privilege, media access, election and labor laws and adult materials.
- Sports law touches on a variety of matters, including contract, tort, agency, constitutional, labor, Intellectual property, licensing, and Discrimination. Whether pursuing new opportunities or investments, enforcing contracts or agreements or protecting clients’ rights, the firm’s lawyers understand the unique issues presented by operating in the industry, including the importance of establishing and maintaining relationships, controlling sensitive information, maintaining privacy and confidentiality and achieving goals in tight timeframes.
- E-Sports (Gaming)
- E-sports generally refers to the competitive playing of video games. RoundTable Legal assists e-sport gamers in understanding the legal and business effects and consequences of agreements. We also assist gamers in enforcing their rights and protecting their intellectual property. We additionally consult on various legal matters such as contract negotiations, real estate transactions and leasing agreements, merchandising agreements, gambling law related issues, sponsorship agreements and advertising, and intellectual property concerns. If you’re involved in the professional gaming world and need legal assistance or representation, get in touch.
Right of Publicity
The right of publicity is an individual’s right to control the commercial exploitation of his or her name, identity, and general likeness/personality. RoundTable Legal can help you enforce your right of publicity or defend you in actions brought against you, as well as draft right of publicity licensing agreements
- Talent & Management
- When an individual provides his or her creative services (such as a musician, a model, or a DJ), there should be an agreement spelling out the terms and conditions for providing those services. These agreements, typically called “host” or “talent” agreements, create limited commercial relationships between the creative professional and the hiring party that defines the role, scope, and expectations of all involved.
- Many creative individuals want to focus on their craft, so they often employ agents and managers to handle these and other business dealings. Agents and managers find employment opportunities for artists and manage finances, administrative tasks, career decisions, and professional relationships. Contracts between managers/agents and talent are critical, as they detail the nature and scope of the relationship between the parties. For talent, having the right contract in place is just as important as having a reliable agent or manager.
- RoundTable Legal is familiar with the legal complexities faced by talent; we can draft both talent agreements and representation/management agreements. We also provide counsel when conflicts over such agreements arise.