RoundTable Legal and our Education law practice deals with public and private institutions at all levels – primary, secondary, and higher education.
Areas of coverage for our education practice typically includes:
- Board organization/operations – ethics issues, sunshine laws, public records requests, and the development/revision of policies.
- Federal and state employment laws – Fair Labor Standards Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Title VII, Title IX, Americans With Disabilities Act, OSHA, workers’ compensation, reductions-in force, health benefits, pensions/retirement plans, evaluations, employment contracts.
- Labor relations and collective bargaining – employee grievances, arbitration, unfair labor practice claims, negotiations, fact-findings, and discipline/suspension/termination.
- Bylaws, faculty guidelines and administrative manuals.
- Special education law – counseling on compliance with Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act
(IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, attendance at Individualized Education Program meetings, mediations, and due process hearings, staff training, legislative involvement, and court appeals.
- Student rights and responsibilities – custody, residency, transportation, discipline, student records/privacy, first amendment issues, and tuition.
- Intellectual property ownership and licensing.